Friday, June 15, 2012

What to expect at IMPACT

By: Megan Stroup, Leadership Consultant 2012-2013


For those of you who are looking forward to your first Leadership Seminar this summer, get excited! I attended IMPACT in 2010 when I was serving as my chapter’s Panhellenic Delegate, and I’m thrilled to be going back for Adelphean Compass this summer as an incoming Leadership Consultant. Today, I wanted to share with you the highlights of my time at IMPACT so you know what you have to look forward to.


The sheer amount of Pi-ness will overwhelm you. In 2010, I was entering the hotel for the first time and saw Alphie, larger than life, projected on the marble lobby wall. You will see more lion bracelets, sandals, tote bags, etc., than you have ever seen in your life, and you will want to buy everything in Gift Mart. Be sure to bring extra spending money.


Kelly and I at Leadership Seminar in 2010 (left) and
Grand Convention in 2011 (right).
Making new friends. I think it’s great that IMPACT and Adelphean Compass are in different hotels this year because that means women from the same chapter can’t band together during the social events. It’s seriously so important that you talk to the women around you and meet sisters from different chapters. The lessons you can learn from each other are invaluable.

In fact, I loved my roommate, Kelly, at Leadership Seminar so much that the next year, when we were both chapter presidents, we roomed together at Grand Convention! (I realize that’s not exactly taking my own advice on branching out, but I promise I met lots of new people at Convention, too!)

So make an effort to eat your meals and spend your free time with different women, and be sure to get their contact information. You can be great resources for each other during the year ahead. Your pride might even want to start a Facebook group to ask for advice and provide feedback after you leave LS.




Striking a diamond pose with Claire Brown
Gwaltney, International President from 2007-11.

Hobnobbing with the Alpha Delta Pi elite, a.k.a. Grand Council and the Executive Office staff, as well as countless district, province and chapter volunteers. Warning: Prepare to stand in line for pictures with Grand Council. They really are celebrities!



Look at those violets!
Violets for your sister. The violet fundraiser is really neat! It’s fun to see the women who have served Alpha Delta Pi for years (or even decades!) get so many violets they can’t even fit them all on their name tags. 
Chapter Presidents from Omicron I province before the awards
dinner. Notice the violet on Ashley's name tag (far left).


Be sure to pre-order some violets for your chapter advisors and other people who have helped you during your term. It’s nice to be appreciated, and there’s nothing more exciting than stopping by the violet table and finding one with your name on it!

[Editor's Note]- The deadline to pre-order violets is June 18th. See our previous Blog Post for more information and how to order.


While I obviously enjoyed every minute of IMPACT in 2010, do you want to know my single most exciting moment? I was crossing the street with a group of women in our ADPi letters after visiting the aquarium, and an older woman coming toward us gave me the call. That’s right. She. Gave. Me. The. Call. Is it just me, or is it so exciting when you discover the bonds of sisterhood with complete strangers across the country?

I hope my post has you excited for IMPACT (even more excited than you already were, I mean), and I hope to meet many of you there!


Did Megan's post make you more excited about IMPACT? What's your favorite tip? Be sure to tell us in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment