Sunday, June 17, 2012

LS Prep from a Facilitator's Perspective



By: Tracy Kerr Carson, Adelphean Compass Facilitator



Tracy Kerr Carson
It’s a long way to Atlanta from Phoenix, Arizona.  4 hours on a plane to be exact. Days and days in the car if you were to drive.  In my heart, however, it’s only a hop skip and a jump.  To say I am excited to be one of your Facilitators in less than two weeks during Adelphean Compass is fabulously understated.  I am actually over the moon that I get to be a part of this amazing experience and I count it a privilege to come alongside of you as you navigate through this wonderful material as participants.

Hi, My name is Tracy Kerr Carson, Eta Xi- Presbyterian College, and I currently live in Scottsdale, Arizona with my Prince Charming of a husband and two wonderful boys.  It’s nice to meet you…virtually.  As I sit and write I am currently in between clients at work.  I am a Professional Counselor and I specialize in the treatment of young women’s issues (depression, anxiety, eating disorders, relationships, etc.). I had the opportunity to speak last summer at Grand Convention on “Healthy vs. Hurting Leadership” and that proved to be the catalyst to remain involved on this level with ADPi. I couldn’t be more honored.

As facilitators we are currently working hard to prepare our sessions for you.  In fact, just this morning while my boys were at their swim lessons I was reading through my notes (yet again) to make sure I have my information down solid.  It’s exciting for me to think about each of you, Chapter Presidents who truly represent the first and the finest of ADPi right now, as I prepare.  What a powerful moment to get to speak to the future leaders all at once.  We are in great company and I can’t wait to come together. 

There is a team of 6 of us that will be presenting as well as two Grand Council members that have served with us as we prepare.  (Can I just say what an HONOR it was to have International President, Tammie Pinkston with us for our entire prep team weekend?!  Holy Moly, that was AWESOME!) The six of us come from all walks and stages of life but the one thing we have in common is an unwavering love of Alpha Delta Pi and an intense desire to serve you (and therefore the future of the sorority) by facilitating throughout the weekend.  I am SO SO SO impressed with these women; I know you will be too. 

So while we are working hard, gathering informative anecdotes, rehearsing our transitions, and memorizing facts we hope you are working hard too.  You have some pre-work to do and I really want you to set some time aside to thoroughly complete these assignments, it will only serve you better once you arrive! 

There are less than two weeks to go until we are all together in Atlanta, I am confident it will be an amazing time.  In addition to my content preparation I also might have spent some time thinking about my wardrobe.  Seriously.  Because you are never too prepared for anything, right?

In the meantime, I really want to get to know you prior to your arrival so tell me in the comments one thing you are excited about and one thing you might be anxious or nervous about (remember I am a therapist so I love to go deep in conversation right away!).

You can follow me on twitter too, @tkcarson.  I can’t wait to see your smart, beautiful faces! Don’t be a stranger when you arrive, I love any chance I can get to give (and receive) a secret handshake!  

3 comments:

  1. Someone has to be the first to comment! If I do, will you also? I am SO excited to meet all of you and have the opportunity to speak. I am a little nervous about speaking directly to the advisors, I am much more comfortable speaking to collegians so this is a great way for me to grow as well! Ok...who is next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be nervous about speaking to the advisors! I am an advisor that will be in attendance, and I'm very excited to meet you - I am working on my PhD in Clinical Psychology so I'd love to meet you and hear about your work as a therapist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister, I sat in on your session "Healthy vs. Hurting Leadership" at last year's Convention and it was absolutely fabulous! I am so excited you'll be sharing your time and talents at Leadership Seminar! I look forward to seeing you again!

    ReplyDelete