Saturday, June 23, 2012

From IMPACT 2010 to Adelphean Compass 2012

By: Kathleen So, Chapter President of Psi-University of California, Berkley


Kathleen So, Megan Horst, Grace Handley and Jessica Cinardo pose
for a Diamond pic outside of Memorial Headquarters.

In the summer of 2010, my experience with Alpha Delta Pi was just beginning, but my love for this sorority was already well under way. I picked ADPi from the first day of recruitment. And as they say: when you know, you just know. (And I am so happy that I knew!)

Right away, I benefited greatly from the community within my Alpha class and I started my leadership in the chapter by becoming the co-gift mart chair. Once the end of my freshman year came around, I wanted more! I applied to represent Psi chapter at IMPACT 2010.

Megan and Kathleen at Executive Office.
That was probably one of the best decisions I've made since joining Psi chapter here at UC Berkeley. I learned so much, but more importantly, I met so many incredible ADPi sisters who helped shape my time with ADPi as well as my leadership abilities.

I learned a lot at IMPACT about what it takes to become an effective leader in ADPi. And we've heard it all before: communicate, delegate tasks, be professional, etc. But there are things that I learned personally during IMPACT 2010 that have helped me 2 years later, in my current position as Chapter President. I learned that personal outreach is very significant. Reaching out to every single member (no matter how big the chapter is) is an invaluable skill for a leader.

Think about IMPACT itself, there were over 600 women in attendance, eager to learn skills and advice to bring back to their individual chapters. During LS, IMPACT provided leaders who break us into smaller groups and helped get to the heart of each chapter's needs. How amazing is that?

I've worked hard to take that into account during my presidency so far. My door is always open and I have had several chapter women come to me with problems, suggestions, and sometimes just ideas! That is a great feeling for me as a leader of my chapter. IMPACT taught me to reach out to individuals and when they come to me, reaching out means giving them my full attention and supporting their thoughts. So when the women of Psi Chapter come to me with ideas, I know that they care so much about ADPi and they trust me with helping them develop their plans.

They found an Alphie!
The women at IMPACT 2010 (specifically in my breakout group), taught be the importance of turning to others for help. And I stuck by what I learned. When I had problems arise with Psi Chapter, I needed an outside opinion-- a fresh outlook. So I turned to the women I had met at IMPACT 2010 and everyone was so wonderful in helping me out. They offered the advice that they had picked up along their own way with ADPi. They told me what worked for their chapter and what didn't, but could work for mine.

And you know what? I learned that I was definitely not alone. A leadership position like Chapter President, can come with it's difficulties and frustrations. And these women, who were going through the exact same things, were there to help me! I turned to them. Being a leader means doing what you can do the best of your ability. To do that, you use all the resources you have.

IMPACT 2010 was the best resource I could've gotten to build upon my leadership in ADPi. Two years later, I am ready for Adelphean Compass 2012 and I have a wonderful Psi Chapter sister attending IMPACT 2012, just like I did. As a leader, and her sister, I am so excited to see what her IMPACT experience will be like and what she will take away from the weekend. My work with Psi chapter isn't quite finished. I have so much more to learn and take back with me. If IMPACT 2010 was any indication of what to expect for this summer, then I can't wait to see what's in store this time.

Another picture near the Memorial gardens.


What did you think of Kathleen's post? Tell us below in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment