Sunday, July 1, 2012

The trip to Macon- From a Chapter President

By: Kathleen So, Psi-UC Berkeley

Me and Emily Brown, Eta Kappa-California State University,
San Bernardino at the ADPi Fountain.
Maybe it was the hot, sticky heat sitting heavy in the air, or maybe it was Mrs. Mannle's slow southern drawl flowing like honey from the bus speakers, but today we went back 162 years. Today, we had the privilege to see how our founders lived and spent their days as our sorority was just beginning. 

Me and Emily at the Cannonball House.
In the Adelphean Parlor at the Cannonball House.
Macon is where Alpha Delta Pi's story began and the strong history tied to the area is how our story continues. 


Our first stop was the Cannonball House which houses the replicated parlors of both ADPi and 
Phi Mu -- the first women's secret societies at Wesleyan College. (Phi Mu was founded in 1852.)


The Cannonball House is a traditional southern building with tall, white pillars, and covered in dusty, red brick. As we walked through the house, it was easy to see the deep history of the south that influenced everything from the displays to the extravagant accents in design. 


Hearing everyone's voices as they walked through the rooms, I felt like this must be how it sounded when our founders and first members met in the parlor. We were whispering and laughing together just like our founders did many years ago. Time has changed but maybe our sisterhood has not. 

And it was only appropriate that we pay a visit to the woman who started it all. As I stood in line waiting to visit Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald's grave, the site of our sorority's past, I learned about where my sisters were headed in the future. I met ADPi women from all over the country throughout this weekend and learned about their individual chapters, but this time I finally got the chance to hear a little bit about them personally. They told me about what they were studying and where they were heading in the future as we all enter our final year of college. And these wonderful women who I had just met...I was so proud of them. I am so proud to call them my sisters and to have spent this weekend with all of them. 


So when it came for my turn, to step up to Eugenia's gravestone, I knew I didn't have to say anything at all. I was wearing my blue IMPACT 2010 shirt from 2 years ago, and my ADPi necklace, and I was surrounded by my sisters from all over the country. I showed Eugenia: look how far we've come.

Our last stop was Wesleyan College. What a beautiful campus! Seeing all of us running around to see the buildings and the ADPi Fountain. I thought how exciting would it be if we all attended school here together,  like Eugenia and our first sisters did? 



It would be exciting. But what I learned most from this weekend is how powerful our sisterhood is. We have made an impact on our respective colleges and universities, and we're not done yet.We're just getting started. Through all of this, we continue to build bonds across schools, states and the country.

The trip to Macon was a great way to end this weekend at the Adelphean Compass Leadership Seminar. We learned so much in our sessions and visiting Macon brought it all home. We were able to see and remember where it all started, why we have our sisterhood and how it all began.

We are an important part of Alpha Delta Pi history as leaders and as sisters. Our foundation was built in Macon but we are building great chapters all around the country. We are experiencing, growing and living in ways that our founders could only dream about.

So maybe it was the laughing while discussing our results from the "color test", or sharing stories on the bus, or bonding with my sisters, but I am going to be sad to see us all go back to our chapters. It's alright though, knowing that we are all going forth and bringing new ideas and big lessons back to our chapters. Besides, we need to give Macon a chance to prepare for a new group of leaders, friends, and sisters.

So here's to my sisters who attended the Adelphean Compass and IMPACT Leadership Seminars this weekend.
Good luck to you this upcoming year and in the future. I am so proud of you!

We are the first, finest, and forever...and don't you forget it!

No comments:

Post a Comment