Thursday, July 5, 2012

Let’s Go to EO!


By: Danielle Krabbe, IMPACT Attendee, Sigma-University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
 
Me in the room where Gand Council meets, sitting
in International President Tammie Pinkston's
chair!
 Lions and Violets and Diamonds OH MY! While attending IMPACT last week, attendees had the option to visit our Executive Office, and I have to say I am so thrilled I decided to take the trip! I could literally go on and on about my visit with my sisters, but I thought I would just share some of my favorite parts of the afternoon along with many pictures (because you know how we sorority girls are…we LOVE pictures!).


I was in awe pulling up to Memorial Headquarters. The neighborhood was cozy, the landscaping was impeccable, and the mansion was second to none! I mean, just take a look at it! It makes you proud to be an Alpha Delta Pi!



The Creed of Alpha Delta Pi.

A bible used by the Adelphean Society.


A portrait of Eugenia. Memorial HQ has portraits
of all six founders.
But enough about the outside, the inside is where all of the neatest Alpha Delta Pi trinkets are shown on display.   The front part of the mansion, Memorial Headquarters, was renovated in 2004, and it’s like a mini museum! Some of my favorite parts were the Bible, the Alpha Delta Pi Creed (obviously!), and antique badges worn by past prominent sisters. Being surrounded by so much sorority memorabilia really showed me how strong our history is and how close our sisterhood remains. 


And, of course, how could I forget the one and only Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald!?! Not only is she our most famous icon and the founder, but she is also the woman we all strive to become someday. 


When I asked one of the interns, Lindsey Rogers, Eta Upsilon-Wake Forest University, about her favorite part of Memorial Headquarters, she said she loved the illuminated map on the wall that showcased all the chapters in North America. Instantly, I had to go find my chapter on the map (shout out to Sigma!). 

Each light depicts where we have a chapter!

Another intern, Rachel Caltaneo.,Theta Gamma-Sonama State University, said living in Memorial Headquarters was like living in a museum. She spends hours in the library looking up the history of all the chapters! 
Me with Rachel, an intern living at EO.


Upstairs you will find the living headquarters for visitors and interns.  It has a boardroom for Grand Council (I felt like Tammie Pinkston!), bedroom for the summer interns, and spare bedrooms for visitors who spend the night.

Undoubtedly, there are prized possessions handed down from all of the past International Presidents. Don’t you think it would be awesome to spend a night in our headquarters? I know I would love to someday!



IMPACT attendees, looking at all the artifacts
and learning the fun history of ADPi.
 Through a walkway is the new Executive Office added in 2005. It has the offices for employees of Alpha Delta Pi and once again, more memorabilia. 

Debbie Black, Iota-Florida State University, the Office Services Manager, mentioned one of her favorite pieces was the music box bracelet from 1961. Imagine how heavy that would be on your wrist! In addition, photos lined the walls, including a picture dating from when we were still Alpha Delta Phi in 1911. 



Whew! Time flies when you’re having fun, and it was totally true at EO! One moment, the bus dropped us off and it seemed like five minutes later I was squeezing in one last picture with a lion.

I truly had a fantastic time at Executive Office and I am so delighted I got to go to EO with some truly amazing sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment