Sunday, July 1, 2012

IMPACT Highlights from an Attendee

Some IMPACT attendees have been asked to journal their thoughts for each day of the program. Carlie Lavin, Eta Nu-St. Louis University,  has been writing in her journal this weekend. These are some of her thoughts about IMPACT, and only were edited for brevity. We hope you enjoy this emmerging leader's perspective. 

By: Carlie Lavin, Eta Nu-St. Louis University 

Friday


Walking into the meeting room this morning I had no idea what to expect- I knew I was here with ADPi girls from across the country, but had no idea just how much in common that would give a group of 140 girls. Right off the bat I felt at home, talking about things like Ritual, Black Diamond, and philanthropy like I was with sisters from my own chapter.  The pride groups really helped me open up and we all were able to share so much common ground with ADPi. 


One of the best things I heard all day was, "You represent your sorority 24/7/365-- no matter if you have letters showing or not.". I think if everyone took a minute to think about that and maybe ask, 'Does this action positively represent the values of Alpha Delta Pi?' before doing anything, people outside of the Greek community would probably have a much greater understanding of what a sorority really is.  I'm not saying everyone has to be perfect every second of the day, but just to represent yourself well, to give your all to your work, and to have some decorum in any situation is what our Creed asks, according to my IMPACT Pride group, and I truly believe that, as well.


Saturday


As I lay down in my bed (which is amazingly comfortable for a hotel, by the way!) after the second full day of the IMPACT conference, I am amazed at all of the things I have done, the people I have met, and the information and insights I have gained in the last 48 hours.

One of the most amazing parts of my journey so far was visiting headquarters with my sisters and seeing so much of the history upon which we are founded. To see the initiates of 1852's signatures, pieces of furniture from the original Adalphean Society, and even Eugenia and her co-founders' hair woven together brought me that much closer to this organization and made me truly appreciate the history behind it. I truly hope to be able to take back stories, pictures, and insights from my experience to my chapter and maybe doing a workshop on history and sharing things like the ideas behind the lighted map with each chapter represented to show my chapter that ADPi is so much bigger than just us as 150-some members. It truly is somethig that belongs to thousands of women who came before us, and all of the other women across the country that share our beliefs.

In addition to experiences like visiting headquarters, the people I have met this weekend have truly made me see the impact we each have on Alpha Delta Pi.  Each of us brings something to the table and adds a unique part to our chapters and our group as a whole.  I have met so many amazing women (and men!) this weekend, but the group that made the biggest impact on me was my Pride Group-- shout out to Pride 10! These girls showed me the true meaning of sisterhood when they immediately opened up with questions, comments, concerns, and ideas to present to our group. I think the thing I took most out of these conversations was the fact that every chapter has their imperfections, everyone can always strive to be better, but at the same time, we are all chapters of Alpha Delta Pi, we all have tremendous strengths, and are doing a lot of things RIGHT, and maybe we should all celebrate some seemingly smaller victories, which are all ideas I hope to share with my chapter.

The thing that I think had the biggest impression that was made on me this week was that of a message given at the Grand Council meet and greet by a member of Grand Council.  She told me that the most important part about being an ADPi is loving it... Loving the sorority, loving collegiate life, and living it to the fullest and to the best of our abilities.  I think if there is one thing I want to take back to my chapter it would simply be that-- we need to all enjoy the time we have as collegiate members of such an amazing organization with such rich history and tradition, not to mention the women still involved across the globe (not even the country by the entire world!!), and to truly live for each other in all that we do.  This weekend has really opened my eyes to what that truly means and I cannot wait to live it even more fully in my life, and share it with the girls I call my sisters.


No comments:

Post a Comment